Virginia Tech® home

Financial Assistance

Financial and Military Assistance

Those participating in career-oriented programs through Virginia Tech Continuing and Professional Education may be eligible for financial assistance through the following routes:

GI Bill (Chapter 30) VA Benefits: Honorably discharged military personnel may be able to use VA benefits to pay for training. With approval from the Department of Veterans Services, Continuing and Professional Education offers these classroom-based programs that are approved for GI Bill funding:

  • Paralegal Certificate Program
  • Project Management Certificate Programs

For more information regarding veterans' benefits, please contact the Veterans Administration toll free at 888-GIBILL1 or visit the administration's website. Or visit: Definitive Guide to GI Bill Benefits and Eligibility

Military Spouse Assistance (CAA): Spouses of active duty military members stationed in California, Georgia, and North Carolina are still able to use the original Department of Defense and Department of Labor Career Advancement Account portable career training funds for up to $6,000 of training, books, and some supplies. Spouses are eligible for this program even if their military spouse is outside of the MyCAA restricted ranks and even if they have already exhausted their MyCAA funds. Spouses must first visit the education officer on base and attend a brief orientation.

Military Spouse Assistance (MyCAA): Spouses of active duty military members around the world may be eligible for up to $4,000 in tuition for career training. Establish an account at the MyCAA website in order to apply online. (This is a secure government site, so you will need to accept the certificates). MyCAA is now limited to certification and licensure programs and associate degrees. The program is open to all eligible spouses under the new guidelines below:

  • Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.
  • Spouse of National Guard and/or Active Guard Reserve member only if the sponsor spouse is on federal Title 10 active duty orders and reported in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. Spouse of Guard/Reserve member in an alert, transition assistance, or post-deployment status are not eligible.
  • The fiscal year cap is waived for spouses pursuing licensure or credential courses with a cost up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.
  • Spouses must finish their program of study within three years.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA): Many Virginia Tech Continuing and Professional Education certificate programs can be eligible for tuition assistance, depending upon individual circumstances. Tuition assistance is a benefit paid to eligible active-duty service members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions:

  • Air Force TA: Apply through the Air Force Portal. Follow the six steps to complete the Air Force Virtual Education Center online tuition assistance process. In step two, select Virginia Tech. If Virginia Tech is not available on your list, you will need to report to your base education office to obtain the tuition assistance form.
  • Army TA: Active duty soldiers can request tuition assistance online through This speeds up the enrollment process and minimizes wait times at Army Education Centers. (Check back later for further instructions.)
  • Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard TA: Use the paper form 1560. Services are limited, so please check with your education service officer to see if you are eligible.
  • Academic Exchange TA information is available at

Veterans Administration Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): Veterans receiving services from the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Division can receive approval from their vocational rehabilitation case manager to pay for any approved courses with a VA Form 28-1905.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA): If you have been forced out of work due to downsizing and reorganization, you may be eligible for federal training dollars. The Workforce Investment Act is designed to help displaced workers obtain training in fields that serve local employee bases. You may request a Virginia Tech Continuing and Professional Education course if it is not offered on the WIA Eligible Provider/Program List. Contact your local Department of Labor representative or One Stop Advisor for more information:

Other Funding Sources: Virginia Tech Continuing and Professional Education programs are not eligible for a Hope Grant, Hope Scholarship, Pell Grant, or any other federal financial loan package. For more information on programs that are eligible for these loan options, please visit or contact the Virginia Tech Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid.